The Myth of Potential Sin
Friday, December 30, 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
Adam and Eve were the only potential sinners that have ever lived. After Adam sinned, sin entered the world and all humanity became sinners. Sin is like pregnancy, you are either pregnant or your not. All of humanity has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, with only one exception, Jesus Christ.
KJV Hebrews 1:3
3. Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Jesus is described as being the brightness of Gods glory and sin is falling short of the glory of God.
KJV Romans 3:23
23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Jesus did not fall short of the glory of God because he was the brightness of it. This is why Jesus could not sin.
You and I were not created the same way as Jesus. Jesus was directly conceived by Gods spirit and had no human father. Jesus was born of God. Jesus was a soul but of a higher level than any other human being.
KJV Luke 1:35
35. And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Jesus was a human being that was directly born of God for a special reason and his human spirit was unable to sin because…………….
KJV 1 John 3:9
9. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
When the saints are born into the kingdom of God they will be made unable to sin just as Jesus was when he was on Earth as a man. Jesus had to be a human being, a man, because God commanded that if a man brought sin and death into the world a man would have to provide for a resurrection of the dead.
KJV 1 Corinthians 15:21
21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
Jesus did not provide the resurrection of the saints to being unable to sin as a spirit being but as a man, a human being. Since Jesus would be the one God would use as messiah God directly conceived Jesus in the womb of Mary making Jesus born of God and unable to sin.
You and I were not born this way. We all came from Adam and Eve and are sinners, we do not have the potential to sin, we are sin.
KJV Romans 5:8
8. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
KJV Romans 5:19
19. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
KJV 1 Timothy 1:15
15. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
So then, saying that we have the potential to sin is a misnomer or oxymoron, sin is what we are and what Jesus came to save us from. If we say that we only have the potential to sin we are denying the reality of what we are. The phrase “potential sin” combines two words that do not go together, similar phrases would be; almost pregnant, half dead, bright darkness, half truth or potential messiah. We must come to see what sin really is to understand why we need saved by Jesus from sin.
Everyone that I have ever spoken to or written to about this subject thinks that sin is any type of evil that people do as an outward act that can be seen or heard by other people. This is not what sin is. Sin is how we think, if we think evil we are evil as Jesus himself told us.
KJV Matthew 5:27-28
27. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28. But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
KJV Matthew 15:18-20
18. But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20. These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
The word “heart” is another way of saying our human spirit. It is our spirit that Jesus came to save.
KJV Hebrews 12:23
23. To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
KJV 1 Corinthians 5:5
5. To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
KJV John 3:6
6. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
KJV John 6:63
63. It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
All human beings including Jesus have a human spirit.
KJV Job 32:8
8. But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
KJV Proverbs 20:27
27. The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly.
KJV Zechariah 12:1
1. The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, saith the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
KJV 1 Corinthians 2:11
11. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
This spirit of man is what Jesus calls the heart and the heart of all human beings is sin.
KJV Jeremiah 17:9-10
9. The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10. I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
KJV Ecclesiastes 7:20
20. For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.
KJV Matthew 7:11
11. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
KJV Romans 3:10-12
10. As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11. There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
All this evil and sin is now what humanity is and needs saved from, the condition of the defilement of our human spirit that we acquired from Satan the devil.
KJV 1 John 3:8
8. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
KJV John 8:44-45
44. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
This statement of Jesus applies to all people, we are all children of Satan until we come to Christ. Jesus was not of the Devil but of God and to even think Jesus could have sinned is of the Devil.
KJV Acts 26:18
18. To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Sin is a condition of our human spirit that can manifest itself by outward acts but the true sin is a result of our defiled human spirit.
Your body can only perform what your human spirit directs it to do. Sin is a spiritual problem not a physical one but since sin is manifested physically by words and deeds people incorrectly think the act is the sin rather than the thought.
KJV Psalms 10:4
4. The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
KJV Proverbs 16:3
3. Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.
KJV Proverbs 20:9
9. Who can say, I have made my heart (thoughts) clean, I am pure from my sin?
Since Jesus was born of God and not a descendent of Adam like all of us he was unable to sin. Jesus was called the second Adam. The first Adam ate of the wrong tree but the second Adam ate of the tree of life and if we feed on him we can live too.
Potential sin is a myth, a lie, and we are all sinners but Jesus was not a sinner and was unable to sin. The love of God is the highest form of love and this love is what fulfills the law. Jesus fulfilled the law with this Godly love that was in him. Gods love is unable to sin and this love was in His son. The question, could Jesus have sinned is asked by those who lack knowledge and fail to search the scripture sufficiently to find the answer. The answer is no, Jesus was incapable of sin.
Sin is defined in scripture in many verses, here are a few:
KJV Romans 14:23
23. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Jesus is the one we are to have faith in, how, if his spirit was like ours full of evil thoughts and desires just as any child of the Devil? If Jesus was like us then we have no messiah, his spirit would have been defiled just as ours is.
KJV 1 Corinthians 15:56
56. The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
The 10th commandment says lust is sin. Lust is the inner thoughts of sin that produce the outward manifestations of words and deeds that are evil. Lust is thinking of sin, of planning to do evil. Did Jesus have this nature in him? Some think he did. Jesus Was Gods love in a man and Jesus always did good and never evil because his thoughts, his mind was like that of God Himself.
KJV James 4:17
17. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
KJV 1 John 5:17
17. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
A person is unrighteous if they sin and sin is our thoughts and what we are while the acts are only the manifestation of our thoughts. A person is either righteous or unrighteous, there is no in between, no potential sin. God has a zero tolerance for sin you either are sin or your not. You are either righteous or unrighteous. So what was Jesus?
KJV Isaiah 53:11
11. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
Jesus Christ was righteous.
KJV Proverbs 21:4
4. An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.
KJV Proverbs 24:9
9. The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.
KJV John 8:34
34. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Jesus defined sin, defilement, as coming from the heart or spirit of people, we are sin. Was Jesus a servant of sin?
KJV 1 John 3:4
4. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Jesus fulfilled the law by the love of God for Gods love is the fulfillment of the law. Gods love thinks no evil therefore can do no evil. Jesus was the love of God manifested in the flesh.
KJV 1 Corinthians 13:5
5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
You and I either are or have been guilty of sin and deserve to die. The death of Jesus for those who believe will pay this price for us so that we can have the hope of everlasting life when Jesus returns to Earth to give it to us. All of this was made possible by a man who some say had the potential to sin but chose not to sin. As I have shown, sin has no potential but is a fact of who and what we are. If you are alive then you are a sinner. The only way other than Jesus to never sin again is to die.
KJV Romans 6:7
7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.
If you die rejecting Jesus knowingly and willingly you will be dead forever. Only a living person can think, have thoughts and perform acts as a result. When you are dead you cannot even think, therefore you cannot even sin.
KJV Psalms 146:4
4. His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
KJV Ecclesiastes 9:10
10. Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
Jesus came to save our human spirits from the defilement of sin, the thoughts and intents of our heart that are evil and can be manifested by outward acts or words. How can Jesus save us if he was infected by the same thing as we are? Jesus exampled and displayed to us the divine nature of his Father and God. This is how Jesus was the image of the invisible God, the express image of the person of God. This is how Jesus could say, I and my Father are one, if you have seen me you have seen the Father. To accuse Jesus of being a “potential sinner” is a dishonor to him and his Father.
KJV John 5:23
23. That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
Anyone who says Jesus was a “potential sinner” has insulted Jesus and God.
Jesus, as a man, provided to the saints access to the divine nature of God so that by our partaking of Gods nature we can have all the benefits now and in the promised life to come.
KJV 2 Peter 1:4
4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
We are corrupted because of our lust, the thoughts and intents of our human spirit that is evil but we can escape this by taking part in Gods nature whereby we hope for the promises. Jesus, as a man, had this divine nature, not in part but in its fullness. The divine nature of love that conquers all evil and sin, that is unable to sin.
Jesus came, as a man, revealed the Father in this way to us but you must believe this, you must believe Jesus. Jesus came to save us from ourselves, save yourselves and believe.