The spirit of man is the breath of life from God. Life is in the spirit and not the body. Thought and memory is in the spirit and not the body. Matter is not alive or intelligent, the spirit is.
KJV Genesis 2:7
7. And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
KJV Job 27:3
3. All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
KJV Job 33:4
4. The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.
KJV Job 34:14-15
14. If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath;
15. All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust.
ASV Job 32:8
8. But there is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
KJV Ecclesiastes 3:19-21
19. For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
20. All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
21. Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
KJV Isaiah 42:5
5. Thus saith God the Lord, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
KJV Ezekiel 37:8-9
8. And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them.
9. Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord God; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.
KJV Acts 17:24-25
24. God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25. Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Man is a beast and his physical life is of the same combination of dust and breath as all other animals. It is the spirit of the beast that is in the shadow image of God. God is love and His reason for creating man was to make man after His image, to make man love as God is love. God is creating love.
KJV Exodus 20:1-6
1. And God spake all these words, saying,
2. I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
KJV Leviticus 19:17-18
17. Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.
KJV Leviticus 19:33-34
33. And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.
34. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
KJV Deuteronomy 6:4-5
4. Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God is one Lord:
5. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
KJV Deuteronomy 7:9
9. Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
KJV Deuteronomy 10:12
12. And now, Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
KJV Joshua 23:11
11. Take good heed therefore unto yourselves, that ye love the Lord your God.
KJV Psalms 18:1
1. I will love thee, O Lord, my strength.
KJV Psalms 116:1-2
1. I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
2. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
KJV Psalms 145:20
20. The Lord preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.
KJV Matthew 5:43-48
43. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47. And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48. Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
KJV Matthew 22:37-39
37. Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38. This is the first and great commandment.
39. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
KJV Luke 6:35-36
35. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
KJV John 13:34-35
34. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
KJV John 14:15
15. If ye love me, keep my commandments.
KJV John 14:21
21. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
KJV John 15:9
9. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
KJV John 15:12
12. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
KJV Romans 5:5
5. And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
KJV Romans 5:8
8. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
KJV Romans 8:28
28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
KJV Romans 8:38-39
38. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39. Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
KJV Romans 13:8
8. Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
KJV Romans 13:10
10. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
KJV 1 Corinthians 2:9
9. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
KJV 1 Corinthians 8:3
3. But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
KJV Galatians 5:22
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love
KJV 1 John 3:11
11. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
KJV 1 John 3:18
18. My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
KJV 1 John 4:7-11
7. Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
KJV 1 John 4:12
12. No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
KJV 1 John 4:16-21
16. And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19. We love him, because he first loved us.
20. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21. And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
KJV Jude 1:21
21. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto everlasting life.
Jesus of Nazareth was Gods example to us of Gods love, the man Jesus was love as God is love. Love is the fulfillment of the law.
The Law is Written in Our Hearts
The Ten Commandments were written on tables of stone but not in our hearts.
ASV Psalms 44:21
21. Will not God search this out? For he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
God knows all our thoughts, words and deeds; God knows our hearts. The law, by command, could change our outward behavior but not our inner motivation. When the bible speaks of the heart it is speaking of the human spirit that is what we are and it is this human spirit that God values.
ASV Proverbs 16:1-2
1. The plans of the heart belong to man; But the answer of the tongue is from Jehovah.
2. All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; But Jehovah weigheth the spirits.
Your human spirit is the heart of man, the center of mans being. Heart=human spirit. Salvation is for the human spirit.
ASV Mark 7:21-23
21. For from within, out of the heart of men, evil thoughts proceed, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries,
22. covetings, wickednesses, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, railing, pride, foolishness:
23. all these evil things proceed from within, and defile the man.
Sin or defilement is in our human spirit or heart. The law could punish outward actions but not inner thoughts.
ASV Romans 2:28-29
28. For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh:
29. but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
God can circumcise our heart or spirit by cutting off sin in our nature over time as we grow in grace and knowledge.
God circumcises sin inwardly and not the foreskin outwardly.
ASV Hebrews 4:12
12. For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.
KJV Isaiah 51:7
7. Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.
The writing of the law in the heart is a changing of our spirit, our nature, so that it is not by command that we obey but by desire and nature. We begin to take on the nature of God as demonstrated to us by Messiah. Our will agrees with Gods will for us and we freely submit to God so that God can work in us. We become free moral agents at conversion whereas before we were slaves to sin.
KJV Jeremiah 29:13
13. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
KJV Jeremiah 31:33
33. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
God writes His law in our inner man that makes a change in our spirit. The law could not change our nature. The converts on Pentecost were circumcised in heart or spirit and asked, what shall we do? They were cut to the heart.
The Strongs article for the word "heart" below says that it is our feelings, will or intellect. These functions are of the spirit of man or our human spirit and this law God writes in our spirit is a change in our human nature that was unable by tables of stone to be righteous. God gives the saints His Holy Spirit which is the power we need to keep the intent of the law that is Godly love.
Strong's Ref. # 3820
a form of HSN3824; the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything:
KJV--+ care for, comfortably, consent, X considered, courag[-eous], friend[-ly], ([broken-], [hard-], [merry-], [stiff-], [stout-], double) heart([-ed]), X heed, X I, kindly, midst, mind(-ed), X regard([-ed)], X themselves, X unawares, understanding, X well, willingly, wisdom.
This explains the idea of the outer flesh being different than the inner man of spirit or how the physical Jew differs from the spiritual Jew. He is not a Jew who is one outwardly in the flesh that tried to keep the law written on tables of stone and performed carnal works of the law of Moses. You become a spiritual Jew, a spiritual Israelite, if God writes His law in your spirit. This law is the ten commandments condensed to two commandments of Love God and neighbor. Love is an emotion, a feeling, a will and part of our intellect. Gods love is made a part of us and empowers us with a new nature and sound mind. Love passes knowledge and wisdom. Gods love cannot sin when we apply it in our lives.
KJV Ephesians 3:19
19. And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Gods love in the saints is the fulfillment of what the law demanded by command and is given to the saints as a gift by faith. This is how God works in the saints and the saints no longer work in the law. The faith in us is proven by the works of Gods love in us otherwise faith without works would be dead. It is the works of God manifested through the saint who has faith and not the works of someone under the law that was not of faith.